Our Best Cleanliness and Safety Guidelines
The Oak Bay Beach Hotel’s Commitment to “Our Best” Cleanliness and Safety Guidelines.
Offering “Our Best” is at the very heart of what we do and who we are. The health, safety and well-being of our staff and guests has always been, and continues to be, our top priority as we navigate the ongoing challenges surrounding this global pandemic.
The Oak Bay Beach Hotel has built a culture of caring, service and cleanliness for over 90 years, recognized by the British Columbia Hotel Association’s Best Housekeeping Awards for 2017, 2018 and 2019 for our high standards of hygiene and cleanliness. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure the confidence in safety of our guests and employees as we begin to reopen, we have elevated those standards even further and have created “Our Best” Cleanliness and Safety Guidelines.
These guidelines exceed the recommended protocols that have been put in place by the BC CDC, Worksafe BC and include further recommendations for the accommodation sector put forward by the Hotel Association of British Columbia, as well as the World Health Organization.
Training and Education
We have implemented a COVID-19 Task Force to meet on a regular basis and identify risk prevention measures for each department and keep up to date on changing requirements.
All employees are required to complete a Health Declaration Form, acknowledging that they have not had contact with anyone who has had COVID-19, and, should they display any symptoms of the illness, are subject to a two-week quarantine period and will not come to work.
We now require a 14 day sick leave for any employees who are ill.
All employees are required to complete two levels of COVID-19 training, which includes a welcome back orientation and overview of how to prevent contracting or spreading the disease, as well as the changes put in place by the hotel. As well, each returning employee will have job-specific training that must be completed before returning to work.
Industry Specific Cleaning Protocols and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Each department in the hotel has created specific protocols, guided by Work Safe BC, to enhance cleaning and disinfecting to reduce all possible risks to our staff and guests.
We have identified four levels of protection needed in each department.
Elimination To limit the number of people in all areas at one time and implement protocols to keep workers at least 6 feet from coworkers, customers and others.
Engineering Should physical distancing not be possible, we have installed physical barriers, such as plexiglass.
Administrative We have established rules and guidelines such as protocols, ensuring tools are not shared and creating one way doors or walkways.
Personal Protection Equipment We have identified positions throughout the hotel that would require additional control measures and have provided them with non-surgical, high quality reusable masks.
Limited Services and Capacities
To provide the safest work environment and reduce the risk to our staff and our guests, we will only reopen our operations with limited services and capacities, beyond what is required by the government.
– COVID training for all staff and the development of a COVID-19 task force;
– Consistent and repeatable processes put in place to exceed recommended guidelines for the health and safety for anyone on our property, staff and guests alike;
– Health check declaration forms for completion upon staff members return;
– Refusal of service to any guest(s) displaying symptoms of illness;
– A temporary suspension of Valet and Chauffeured services;
– Restricting hotel public spaces to only Hotel, Restaurant and Spa Guests;
– Reducing all seating areas to ensure a minimum six feet distance;
– Only allowing 1 person or 1 party in the elevator at one time;
– Staggering reservations times in both our restaurants and our Boathouse Spa to minimize the number of guests arriving at the same time;
– Clearly identifying waiting areas, separated from the reception or check-in desks;
– Consistent walkthroughs of our property to sanitize high traffic tough points (i.e. door handles, elevator buttons).
– Limited guest interaction
– Hand sanitization stations at numerous points around the hotel, and encouraging guests to use them upon entering our hotel or outlets;
– Strict adherence to Phase 2 opening procedures (seating capacity, distancing for movable and fixed tables and chairs etc.);
– Physical barrier installation (plexiglass) at our host stand and bar;
– Reduced occupancy load;
Boathouse Spa Specific Guidelines
– Booking and Check-in/Check-out experience is contactless;
– New detailed protocols in place prior to and during each treatment to protect the health and safety of both employees and Spa Guests;
– Each guest is required to bring a mask to wear upon entering the Spa and during treatment. Should you need a disposable mask, one will be provided for you at a minimal cost of $2;
– Physical barrier installation (plexiglass) at each of our Spa Concierge Desks;
– Temporary closure of our Spa changing rooms;
– Fitness Studio available upon request, allowing only 1 guest or 1 party at a time and sanitized after each use.
– Appointments will be staggered to reduce traffic and to ensure physical distancing of two meters in spa reception and guest areas.
– Screening of all Spa Guests over the phone the day before an appointment, and again upon arrival to ensure each Guest is adhering to the policies and procedures put in place.
To learn more information about a Boathouse Spa Experience, please call the Boathouse Spa directly at 250-940-0326.
Heated Seaside Mineral Pools Specific Guidelines
– Limiting access to the Heated Outdoor Mineral Pools;
– Allowing only 1 guest or 1 party in the hot tubs at a time;
– All loungers will be assigned and sanitized after every use;
– Creating new entry and exit points; and
– Temporary closure of the Spa changing rooms.
While we understand that things will look very different upon reopening, our commitment to offering “Our Best” service will not change. We are creating new ways to offer special, contactless touches that will enhance all of our guest’s experiences and promote the luxury of exclusivity as we limit our capacities.
Thank you for your understanding as we take the steps to ensure the safety and well-being of all of our guests and employees.